Wooden Welcome Sign

I have been working hard on getting my gallery wall up in my front entryway this week. I had full intentions of making a dent in my sewing projects this week, but alas, I am having serious wrist pain, so it just won't happen right now. Instead I decide to break out the power tools (a little silly with a hurt wrist, I know, but with my wrist brace I mostly used my good hand to work on this guy).


Supplies needed:

I knew I wanted a few pieces on the gallery wall that were not actual pictures in frames that also incorporated some colors I am trying to tie into my home. So this piece all started with this beauty:

Vinyl wall art from Dollar Tree (only $1)
I originally planned on using the whole saying but I didn't have the right size scrap wood to fit the 'welcome' and the lower words. I am holding onto them for another project at some point. I dug through my scrap wood to find a thin piece of wood that would be long enough and marked approximately where I needed to cut it.

Laid the vinyl sign on top of the wood to mark where to cut

Added a straight line where I needed to cut
 I broke out the power tools and cut my wood to size.


Then I sanded the wood smooth(ish) with my Ryobi hand sander.


I mostly just sanded off the rough edges. I wanted this piece to have the old weathered wood look, so I didn't want to sand out all of the imperfections in the wood.

Now onto the paint! I used Krylon Spray Paint in Periwinkle Satin.


I added my first coat of spray paint. {I had thought about using primer, but once I distressed the wood after it was painted I didn't want the white to show through.}

One coat of paint

Next, I added a second coat of paint.

Two coats of paint
Then I sanded the whole thing again, focusing on the edges to give it a distressed, old wood feel.


Lastly, I carefully added the 'Welcome' vinyl. This piece of art only cost me $1.00 for the vinyl, since I already had the wood and spray paint on hand. Not too shabby!




 I think this is going to be a great addition to my gallery wall. I can't wait to show you it all put together. 

Linked up here:
DIY Club


The Shabby Nest
Tatertots and Jello
Homemaker on a Dime
The Girl Creative


Labels: ,