Do you have a little girl in your life that has an American Girl doll? Have you ever looked to see how much their clothes cost? Let me just say I spend less money on my own clothes than I would have for these dolls. But they are adorable, and I can't wait for my daughter to be bigger so we can get her one (or maybe one of the knock off 18" dolls from Target - we will see!) However, my niece, has one and my brother suggested that she would love some clothes for her doll for Christmas.
So off to Jo Anns I went!
My sewing skills are not spectacular, so I chose a pattern that I thought I could do with relative ease. Here is the one that I chose from
Simplicity. (
*Tip: These patterns go on sale all the time at the craft stores. Never pay full price! I got this one for $1.99.)
Cute, right?
I had both kids with me at the store when I had to get the fabric, so I needed to be quick about making my choices. I didn't have time to stand at the cutting counter. Luckily, they have these great bundles of pre-coordinated fabric for quilting that work perfect for doll clothes. I could make about 8 more outfits out of the leftover fabric!
I got to work sewing and here is what I came up with.
A dress. Her arms fit through two slits in the side and ties at the top around the neck with ribbon.
A top that ties in the back at the top and bottom, and two skirts.
I felt like it was missing a little something, so I got a really cute pair of shoes from Jo Anns as well (not shown).
I think my niece will love them. Plus, now I have a pattern for when my little girl gets big enough for one of these dolls. And I was able to make 4 items for her doll for less than what I could have paid for one at the store!
Labels: Crafts, sewing