Almost a year ago, I stumbled across this beautiful butterfly wall collage over at The Idea Room. I knew I wanted to make one for Olivia's room the moment I saw it. Then, life happened and this project got pushed to the back burner. I did end up making a version of it about a month ago, but wasn't really pleased with how it turned out. I tried a different pattern of lining up the butterflies and it just wasn't quite right. Finally, over the weekend, I got it done! I am so excited to share this project with you.
First, I started with this hideous piece of artwork I found at Goodwill. (Sorry if you are out there and this was yours!) I bought this beauty only for the frame. I knew I didn't want a gold frame, but spray paint fixes everything.
The funniest part, was when I took the frame apart and got the picture out, there were like three matted pictures all glued together under there! What a mess. But it came out really easily and I moved onto spray painting the frame. I used
Krylon's Flat White paint.
Now that the frame was all painted and pretty, I could move onto the fun part - the butterflies!
I took a piece of foam core board I got at the Dollar Tree and cut it down to size. For my frame, this meant 16" x 20".
 |
Olivia decided to express her artistic side on the foam board before
I got to my project. No biggie because this is the back! |
Next, I marked off where I wanted my butterflies to be. I spaced them out every two inches across and two inches down. Then, I got to punching! I used the Martha Stewart butterfly punch.
Since I scrapbook and I am a hoarder, I had plenty of scraps to choose from for this project. I only used colors that are in her bedding, which pretty much left it wide open for any color other than purple, black or brown!
After punching out all those butterflies, I folded them in half to make them look like they were coming off the page and glued them on using
Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue. It actually only took a few minutes to dry since I was using so little glue. But I wanted a little bit of wiggle room to get the placement right. I wouldn't have been able to do that with a glue gun.
I used my staple gun to secure the foam board to the frame, so it wouldn't fall out. I added some picture hanging hardware to the back as well.
I am so pleased with how this wall collage turned out. It is perfect in her room with the fabric I used to make her bedding. You can see the
bedskirt I made for her room that shows the different colors. Her room is a bright orange color, which is just so fun!
This is definitely one of those projects that makes me happy. I keep going into her room to admire how cute it is.
Linking up here:
Labels: Crafts, inexpensive, Olivia