- Egg Carton
- Black paint
- Paintbrush
- Googly Eyes
- Glue
- Ribbon
- Optional: Glow in the Dark Puffy Paint
The first step is to cut out three of the spaces from the egg carton. Cut a curved semi-circle into the two egg spaces on the ends to create the bat "wing" shape.
Next, have your child paint the egg carton black. You will want to paint the top and underside of the egg carton, especially if you plan to hang your bats.
Allow the paint to dry. Once it has dried, you will want to attach your ribbon. Poke a hole in the top of the middle of the bat. I used metal skewer to make my hole. Take a piece of ribbon and create a loop. Tie a knot in the end. Push your ribbon up through the hole so the knot is the underside of the bat and the loop is on the top.
Now you can glue on your googly eyes. My son and I chose regular size eyes, and my daughter chose really big eyes!
The next step is optional, but is pretty fun! When I participated in the
I Love to Create fall campaign, I received a tie dye kit that included some glow in the dark puffy paint from Tulip. We outlined our bat eyes with puffy paint and drew on some fangs as well!
Here is a picture of my son's bat with his glowing eyes and fangs. He also added some black construction paper bat ears to his bat to make it look more real. (If anyone has any tips on photographing glow in the dark objects, I would love to hear them!)
Once everything on your bat is dry, hang them up! I hung ours from the light fixture above our computer area.
This is my son's completed bat. He added bat ears, and glow in the dark eyes and fangs!
My daughter's bat turned out pretty cute as well. She chose the super huge googly eyes.
Did you do any fun Halloween crafts with your kids this year?
Linked up here: