- Small cardboard or wooden bird house (ours were purchased from Jo Ann's)
- Craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Outdoor mod podge (affiliate link)
First I set up some newspapers under our work surface.
My kids are messy painters and this makes clean up a snap! I let each of the kids choose 3 - 4 of my acrylic craft paints.
Note: These paints do not wash out well if you get them on clothing, etc. If you are worried about staining, etc. please use a washable kids paint instead.
Next, the kids got to work painting their houses. I am a bit of a control freak at time, but doing these little art projects with the kids has really helped me learn to let go. I try to give minimal input and just let them be creative!
Let the paint dry. This is a good time to clean off your paint brushes.
Apply the outdoor mod podge following package instructions. I applied 3 light coats allowing it to dry in between coats.
If you have younger children, this step is best done by a grown up to make sure the entire house has even coverage.
Hang your bird houses up! I am happy to report, these have been in the tree for over a month. They have endured sun, rain and strong wind and still look great!