Do More by Doing Less

Today I am making a promise, of sorts, to myself. Documenting it here will keep me accountable. I love blogland. I love pinterest. I love facebook. Unfortunately, all of these loves keep making my project to do list longer and longer and longer . . . there are just too many great projects I want to do out there. The inspiration I get from other bloggers inspires me to create! However, as my list keeps growing and growing, I tend to lose focus. My list gets longer, but I end up not actually finishing anything. Does this ever happen to you?

I will be working on one project and then I see something on another blog, and I think, "That would look great in my _________ room," or "That would be perfect to organize/decorate this space in my home." So I add another project to my list of "To Dos". Then I am out shopping and I pick up some or all of the items to work on this new project, all the while having 10+ other unfinished projects at home. This has to stop. It makes my head spin.
Lately, I have been feeling the strain of being a stay at home mom and trying to "do it all". I have experienced this before. Crafting is a way for me to do something I love and recharge my spirits, but when it starts to stress me out, it is defeating it's purpose.

So, today, I vow to COMPLETE (yes, complete) at least three quarters of my projects before I buy anything new for any other projects or start any other projects that I can create from supplies on hand.
Here is my list (in no particular order): 
     This will also act as a sneak peak for those of you who read my blog regularly of what you will be seeing on here.
  1. Refinish ceiling fan in living room
  2. Dog food storage container
  3. Gallery wall for front entryway
  4. Drinking glass corral
  5. Pajamas that I started for Thomas a year ago (you heard me right, I said a year ago) - probably will have to be a gift for a friend with a smaller little boy now!
  6. Pillowcase apron(s)
  7. Apron from vintage fabric
  8. Apothecary jars
  9. Upcycled garden tote
  10. Adding strap to coupon binder
  11. Thomas' first year scrapbook album (he is only going to be 5 in October, so I have got time - ha!)
  12. Make some new layouts for Etsy
  13. New canopy for swing set
  14. Refinish train table
  15. Finish railroad tie border on front of house
  16. Cushion for toy bench in Olivia's room
  17. Lay brick border and mulch under swing set
  18. Tile kitchen counter tops
  19. Beadboard back splash for kitchen
  20. Fix everything in my 'mending' pile
  21. Cross-stitch birth stats wall hanging for my son's room (he's only 4!)
Wow. More projects on there than even I was thinking I had. And this is the list I just typed up from memory. There could be more. Can you see now I need to buckle down and just focus on this long list rather than adding anything new? I will add anything else I remember once I think of it. But as of right now with 21 27 projects on the list, I need to complete 16 21 before I can take on anything new. Whew! Let's see how I do . . .
* UPDATE *
Added to the list that I forgot (I have found these other projects around my house that I didn't remember when I made the original list!):

  22. Covert dress to skirt
  23. Beaded wreath
  24. Refinish small toy chest
  25. Corduroy purse
  26. Cross-stitch pillowcase
  27. Washer necklace

Labels: ,