This space is in our entryway when you first enter our home through the front door. We have had a poster sized picture hanging in this space since we moved in five years ago. It was a floral print I framed in college and doesn't really match the decor of our home.
I have had this box full of empty frames sitting in my craft space forever and wanted to get them up on the wall. I promised myself I would use as many frames as I could and any that were left would get donated.
Also, I wanted another space to hang pictures and art work that were meaningful to our family. And I think it is a great way to welcome people into our home.
I wanted to incorporate meaningful pictures and pieces of art. I also wanted to incorporate colors from these awesome throw pillows I got from Target that are on our couch. {The entryway is right off of our living room.}
The color of the flowers look correct, but the actual pillow is more of the color you see here:
Then I found this really great vinyl from the Dollar Tree.
I knew it would be perfect to use to make a wooden sign for this space. You can read about how I made the sign
here.
 |
| Wooden Welcome Sign |
I created an
important dates sign with significant dates to our family. The background color is the color of our pillows. I spray painted the frame Satin Nickel by Krylon. Before it was a gold color that doesn't go with anything in my home.
I may eventually add some smaller 'S' letters to the space, but I was trying to do this project from materials I had on hand and not buy anything new other than the photos I had printed.
To arrange the photos, I traced each frame onto newspaper. I labeled each paper with a number and put a small piece of masking tape on each frame with the coordinating number. Since I had a few similar size frames this helped me stay organized.
I then taped them to the wall until I had a layout I liked. It changed a little as I actually hung everything up, but for the most part I had my layout just how I wanted. It really helped to have an idea of where things would go so I didn't end up with a ton of extra nail holes in the wall.
The top half of the wall: I used a picture of a rose from our garden. The two 5 x 7 pictures are of my husband and I as toddlers. On the left is a collage print I made of pictures of my mom and on the right is a collage of pictures of my husband's father.
My husband's father passed away last year and I made this collage print for the funeral. I have been wanting a place to hang it and this was the perfect spot. It inspired me to create a collage print of pictures of my mom. She passed away when I was 8 years old from breast cancer. I realized I didn't really have very many pictures up of her in my home and I felt like this was an appropriate spot alongside my father-in-law's photos.
The butterfly hanging above the monogram was from our wedding. We were married outside underneath an arbor. We had these butterflies hanging above our heads as we were married. My mom loved butterflies and I think I have always been drawn to them because of her. This is also why I included butterflies in the background of my important dates sign.
The bottom half of the wall has our engagement picture, a photo from my brother's wedding and some special pictures from the current year.
This beauty was a clay plaque I made in first or second grade and hung on to all this time. I thought it actually fit nicely into the space.
I love how it all came together. There is still some space to add some small details. I wouldn't mind finding a small antique clock and a few more 'S' letters to fit in.
When I had been planning this wall, originally I was going to paint all the frames to match, but I thought I would just get everything hung up for now. But, I think I am going to leave the mismatched frames. I think it matches our household's quirky personality and brings some extra character to the wall.
What do you think?
Linked up here: